One Week Curriculum of Life Lessons | Life on Earth Log 005


Sometimes, it is when we teach that we learn the most.



Lessons I learned this week:


Lesson No. 1
Stay Committed

Teaching kids is no joke. Being a teacher requires you to be enthusiastic, creative and patient at all times. Aside from mastering a lesson, you have to present it in ways children will enjoy. It is important that you connect with your students, otherwise they'll just ignore you.

The Sunday School ministry looks exciting, but will you stay when exhaustion starts to hit and you feel like you have depleted your bag of creativity? Will you continue giving your best? Many will quit but the committed will stay.


Lesson No. 2
Fill the Need

Our church is on her second school year of providing Values Instruction Classes to a nearby public elementary school. This is a ministry we feel like we've been spread thinly. Not many members have flexible work schedule and not all available volunteers are teachers. Nevertheless, we serve.

Last Friday, our church hosted a gathering of pastors. Members volunteered to cook, serve food, drive cars to the parking area, among other tasks. It was a great privilege to serve that day.

A post shared by Kye Felix-Pajela (@sleepwalkingscarlet) on

That day was one of the rare opportunities hubby and I wear matching shirts.


Lesson No. 3
Exercise Creativity

First graders are the most challenging to teach! I am saying this based on my experience. Teaching pre-schoolers is physically demanding, but teaching first-graders take it to another level. Ages 7 to 8 kids not only demand physical activity in form of singing and games, they like arts and crafts, and interactive storytelling.

Last year, my husband and I teach the same class - second-graders. This year we're in separate classes, both first-graders. He was blessed with a very mellow, mild-mannered group, and I am equally blessed with a loud lively bunch! I prepare the same lesson and produce lesson and activity props for both classes.


My favorite part of the class is when we let them do some coloring. My lively bunch of kids finally have something to focus on.



A post shared by Kye Felix-Pajela (@sleepwalkingscarlet) on


This is, by far, my favorite paper craft for kids. I made the pattern myself. (You may download it here.) We photocopied and cut the fishes, then the kids get to color them. We pasted the two sides together after they're done.


Lessons learned this week:

  • Stay committed.
  • Fill the need.
  • Exercise creativity.



but there are some lessons I still haven't learned...


Lesson No. 4
How do you explain the concept of loss?

I'm substituting for one of the VIC teachers who is assigned to the Grade 3 class. Half of the class comprise of some of the students from the same section my husband and I taught last year. I had to take a leave from teaching their batch early this year because of my pregnancy. These kids knew I was pregnant. What they didn't know is that I miscarried last summer.

Maybe I don't have to tell them. I planned to stick to the lesson and avoid any questions regarding what happened.

The class ended and they rushed to me demanding to see photos of my baby. They assumed I've already given birth by then... I unlocked the tablet and showed them the photos of Xena!

We were all laughing until one of the kids demanded the baby pictures again. So I finally said "Nasa heaven na." (The baby is in heaven.) A lot of them were confused. At that point I really don't know and I intend not to get into a discussion explaining how miscarriage happens. They're too young for that.

One of the kids said, "Nakunan kayo Ma'am?" (You've miscarried?) Her statement took me by surprise, then I thought maybe someone she knows went through the same thing...

So there... at least I was able to go through with it without crying.


Lesson No. 5
How can we make social media peaceful?


Answer: It will never happen.

This week, I've gotten into several discussions on twitter regarding political issues. It's a battlefield. The culture of twitter continues to sadden me. It's natural to get carried away. It's tempting to take replies personally.

The blessing is that I saw people who remain civil in heated debates. We can gain respect not by being right, but by being kind.


That's one week and five lessons. 😊

Comments

Featured Video

Popular posts from this blog

REVIEW | Hardin sa Tabing-Ilog Adventure Camp

RSVP + Philippine Culture = ?

Our Epic Wedding Review : IMP Sea Breeze Resort

Having a D&C (Journal)

MOVIE REVIEW | Ponyo

Meeting the Parents