Life on Earth Log 009 | Mask Season


Better look silly and healthy than decent but ill.
Wow, this getup did give me a lot of false hope. *dry coughs*


The photo above was taken inside a bus bound to Cavite. I have a scheduled site visit during the Corona virus scare in the Philippines. This was also just weeks after the Taal Volcano eruption; hence, the "protective" getup consisting of a cloth mask, baseball cap and shawl.

Why wasn't I wearing a surgical mask? Well... people panic-purchased all of them so I'm left with the cloth masks I already have. With the air pollution in Metro Manila, it seems logical to wear one outdoors to avoid inhaling vehicle smoke and dust particles. Cloth masks somehow improved my respiratory health by lessening the deposit of well... boogers. *Sorry about that. Coughs again.* Cloth masks are not that useful in blocking viruses, I know, but at least covers my runny nose and my covered appearance somehow gives security I won't infect other pedestrians with whatever phantom virus I may have.

Did you know that surgical masks are disposable? I prefer washable and reusable masks.

While the recent Novel Corona Virus from Wuhan (or 2019 nCoV) is highly communicable (nakakahawa) it is not as fatal as SARS or Tuberculosis (TB). 

Novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV), WHO, January 31, 2020

We've seen so many articles stating facts online such as the video above.  Of course certain media outlets and propagandists would see this opportunity to blame the present government admin to further their agenda. I'm not really surprised. They've been doing such for years. Utu-uto naman ang maraming tao, ang bilis maniwala. [People are so gullible.] That's why it's best not to share articles or forward text messages that promote panic. Verify the information before sharing it! Like I always say, do not fuel the wrong fire!

Fear makes people selfish and greedy. Because of the fear of being infected a lot of people hoarded surgical masks, advocated for the ban of Chinese nationals, promoted racism, took advantage of the situation to earn money...

"I want to survive."
"If I'm going to choose whom to save, better my family than yours."
"It's the Chinese's fault!"

During this time, fear would tell you to be angry. It will tell you to put yourself first, never mind the others. Forget humanity. Save yourself first. I can't blame people for behaving like this. They're afraid.


Now that there are reported nCov survivors on their way to recovery, how does it feel to be one of those people who promoted panic and xenophobia?


Next time another virus breaks please keep calm.
Don't hoard masks.
Don't be a racist.
Quarantine yourself from social media because wrong attitude is contagious.

Comments

Featured Video

Popular posts from this blog

REVIEW | Hardin sa Tabing-Ilog Adventure Camp

Our Epic Wedding Review : IMP Sea Breeze Resort

RSVP + Philippine Culture = ?

MOVIE REVIEW | Ponyo

Having a D&C (Journal)

Meeting the Parents