No TV = Best Decision Ever!

Though I sympathize with the employees, I really don't buy all the drama being circulated about ABS-CBN signing off. We understand that a lot of people are so emotionally invested in "teleserye's" and "artista's" and you have every right to voice out your frustration.
By all means, rant to your heart's content. Free speech. It's your right.



People keep saying "kawawa mga mawawalan ng trabaho..." That might already have a solution. Good thing the company will keep supporting them financially (according to a tweet leaking the content of online meeting with execs which should have been confidential... Oops!). I hope no one is overlooked. Maybe ABS-CBN gets renewed after some time and they get their jobs back. Maybe other networks can hire their former ABS-CBN employees? Who knows?


There are several political issues being linked to this. Suddenly Filipinos are experts on the politics and running broadcasting networks.
Here in the Philippines we find something new to fight about every day!


While I do have my own unpopular opinion, given that I'm not a "kapamilya", I'll let the courts decide on this one. ABS-CBN has basically dominated Philippine mainstream. I'm sure they can afford good lawyers with all the money they got from the TV-Plus sales.
Honestly, we couldn't relate to the issue.


Forgive me for not being emotional about ABS-CBN shutting down.
We survived 4 years without TV and we were able to cope. You can too.
TV is not our one and only source of entertainment at home, neither is ABS-CBN the only network or means of acquiring relevant information and news during the pandemic. ABS-CBN cartoons and anime are not even solely responsible for making my 90's childhood awesome. We had GMA and IBC-13 in the 90's too! During my college days I spent more time listening to the radio while drafting. And when I started working, we had wifi.

I'm not saying this network didn't have good shows because I enjoyed watching "Please Be Careful With My Heart", "Mula Sa Puso", "Meteor Garden" and "Meteor Rain" among others.

When they launched Philippine Big Brother (PBB) I only watched the first season. The PBB winner didn't become a talent of Star Magic. She wasn't even trying to be in showbiz. The following seasons proved to be nothing more than extensive auditions. This reminds me... I did take one photo in front of the PBB house for no apparent reason. Now I regret doing that. It was Roy's idea SMH.


I have no emotional attachments to any TV shows or the "artistas." They were just shows - greatly entertaining but not real. I don't get starstruck seeing celebrities in person. I don't get "moved" whenever they make big twitter statements. I don't understand being a fan. I don't understand idolatry at all. To me the celebrity and non-celebrity are the same. Famous people just happen to get more attention.

Best Decision Ever.

When I was still living with my parents we had no choice but to watch "Ang Probinsiyano" with them while we eat dinner. Pati replay sa weekend pinapanood ng Tatay ko. I used to like it but the format and story line became unappealing to me in the long run.


So when my husband and I got married we decided not to have a TV inside the house. A television set wasn't a priority purchase. Automatic washing machine was top priority followed by the coffee maker. Most of our appliances came as wedding gifts. The rest we acquired over time. TV wasn't even on the list. We can use the internet for work and entertainment so why would we need one?

Photo by Franck V. on Unsplash

We wouldn't be the couple who argued over what shows to watch or what channels to view. We wouldn't be fighting over the remote control. No TV means more quality time. No TV. No cable subscriptions. No additional bills.
This is why we only win electric fans in raffles. It's actually a blessing!

Bored?
There are other cures for boredom aside from watching TV.

Instead of spending a considerable chunk of our 4-year-marriage in front of the television, we found more meaningful activities like gardening for my hubby, sketching and journaling for me. I could list a lot more (but maybe on a separate post.) If we had a TV I wouldn't be able to do these fun hobbies. Being a fan of certain shows greatly limits the possibilities that come with an open schedule.
Hindi kawalan ang TV. You can survive without it!


For us, not having a TV is a huge blessing!

Ibang usapan nga lang pag walang internet. Patayan na 'toh!


Just kidding. I'm sure we'll cope too (kahit mahirap huhubels.)

Comments

Featured Video

Popular posts from this blog

REVIEW | Hardin sa Tabing-Ilog Adventure Camp

Our Epic Wedding Review : IMP Sea Breeze Resort

RSVP + Philippine Culture = ?

MOVIE REVIEW | Ponyo

Having a D&C (Journal)

Meeting the Parents