Ok Class, Our Lesson For Today Is...

"You teach what you know,
but you reproduce what you are."
Howard G. Hendricks

Photo by Mark Rabe on Unsplash

Two years, four semesters. It's quite an experience.

I spent a good hour facing the monitor with nothing to write in the draft. How do I describe being in the academe?


I knew early on that I wanted to teach.

[Two Semesters As An Architecture Instructor]

Nobody convinced me to be a college instructor. It is a job I've always wanted to do. Maybe I was heavily influenced by our professors in the past. To a student like me then, teaching seemed like the best, most dignified, most noble path to take as an architect.

Here are some lessons I have learned so far:

Effort > Salary

If you are looking to teach, this is most often the case. Don't get me wrong. I am in no way complaining about it, just stating facts. You are lucky to be in a school that pays very well. Most of us will say we're not in the academe for money but to further the architecture practice. I will say it again. No amount of money can ever pay for the genuine concern for students and the quality of learning you can provide.

Learning > Teaching 

I found that I spent more time studying that teaching. It's like taking a refresher course every time I need to prepare for a lecture. Of course, accomplishing the requirements of the graduate studies take a considerable amount of time as well. 

Even during the pandemic, architects in and out of the academe found ways for professional development. It's good that our present technology allows us to attend seminars in the comfort and safety of our own homes. Now that blended learning is going to be the new norm there are more webinars for us to attend.

Opportunity > Labels

I've made it a point not to compare students or sections or year levels, let alone label them. For example one prof will comment how a certain student is "pasaway". In my mind, I would erase that label and let that student prove if he or she is "pasaway" or not. This way the student can break free from the negative adjective he/she is known for. 

It also goes without saying that we should treat every student fairly. When a student comes to class, he/she should attend alone leaving all the "mayaman ako" and "kilala mo ba ang pamilya namin" pronouncements out the door.

Erasing these labels gives the student a bigger room to grow and learn. Acknowledge and respect your student as the individual he/she is.

Character > Talk

Sometimes we do not realize how deep our students' perception can be. We can lecture a whole day only to contradict what we say with our actions. Teaching is not all about memorizing lectures and thinking how to deliver them with the least possibility of the students getting bored. The snappy blazer you wear or the authority in your voice makes little impact. What the students should see is who you are as a professional. 

Whether you like it or not, WHO YOU ARE is the first lesson they will ever learn and the lesson that will stick with them the longest.

There is no room for unethical behavior in the architecture industry. Shouldn't we expect higher standards for educators? 



Evaluation

Looking back I am aware that I have some shortcomings. I've only been teaching for two years but I am committed to the job and I have invested a lot of time and money to improve my teaching methods. In two years there are times of self doubt and anxiety. I kept asking myself if what I'm doing is effective or not. There's still a lot of room for improvement as an instructor and as an architect.

Despite my shortcomings as an instructor, I can proudly say:
  • I never discredited or unfairly criticized any of my colleagues to advance my career. Hindi ko ginagatungan kapag nag-open yung estudyante tungkol sa ibang profs nila. 
  • I have never given a student a failing grade just because I'm being unfair. Hindi ako yung prof na namemersonal ng estudyante.
  • And I never complained about the salary. I never asked for a raise.
  • As far as I know, I have given more than what's required to guide and help the students despite some of the challenges I've faced.

Masakit sa akin na malaman na (huwag na lang... Mahabang kwento). Even when I discovered this in 2018, I kept working, I ignored it hoping that things will change. Sad to say, wala palang nagbago. There's only so much emotional distress a person can take. 


I wish all my students good success in the future. Gayahin kapag tama, huwag gayahin kapag mali. I know that you are smart enough to discern right from wrong and I trust that you will make excellent decisions!

Even when I am no longer part of UCP-COA I will continue praying and cheering for my students. I look forward to the day you become architects too!

Comments

Post a Comment

Featured Video

Popular posts from this blog

REVIEW | Hardin sa Tabing-Ilog Adventure Camp

Our Epic Wedding Review : IMP Sea Breeze Resort

RSVP + Philippine Culture = ?

MOVIE REVIEW | Ponyo

Having a D&C (Journal)

Meeting the Parents