How Most Days Look Like

What does a day in the life of an architect/artist/blogger/doodler/housewife look like?
Prepare to be blown away!

Or not.
Just kidding!

Ideally, I wake up at 5:00 AM. Hubby and I start the day right by prayers and reading the Bible. We're not consistent, but we try our best to do this everyday. (But most days, he wakes up to pick up supplies and I go back to sleep.)

I'm a very slow reader. I'm already behind schedule. There are times when I'm too lazy to read. Sometimes I am just too busy or trying to struggling to meet a deadline. I'm either too lazy or too busy.




I am determined to finish all 66 books from Genesis to Revelation in my lifetime. Will this make me perfect? Of course not! But since I started making this a habit, my perception of life has changed and I have a much deeper understanding of what God wants in my life. I've seen the things I've done wrong, the things I need to improve and the attitudes I need to change - all because of God's Word. (The Kanin for the Soul, I call it.)

To my surprise, I actually enjoy reading the Bible! The secret? Read it like a love letter because it is actually God's love letter to mankind.

Bible reading first, then prayer. I have a list of things I want to thank God for. I do have requests (most of them are extremely personal). Sometimes we have friends who are sick or who are facing some problems, I remember them in prayer. There's a great sense of peace knowing that Someone hears you and always looks after you no matter what happens.

This segment of reading and praying the Bible is called "quiet time" or "devotion."


After the "quiet time", when I feel like it (which is rare), I do some stretching and light exercise. My metabolism is getting sluggish at 31.


This is the "pande-small". 

At around 6:00 or 7:00 AM, Hubby and I take turns to make breakfast. Most of the time, we have the classic pandesal and hot coffee combination. Sometimes we eat fried rice with mixed veggies. For more special days (or when one of us is sick) the other cooks chicken soup. Every breakfast has a side dish of interesting conversation about politics or a funny video one sees on facebook or 9gag. Don't forget to feed the dog!

Right after breakfast, my husband goes to work (to a commercial area nearby) while I start with the household chores - cleaning, washing the dishes, the designated laundry for the day... housewifing to the max!

I don't go to the office therefore I am not a regular commuter. Where I live is where my office is.

It's very convenient working at home. There's no boss to watch you while you work. You can visit your social media accounts whenever you want to. You can take as many naps as you want. You can divert your attention whenever a task gets too boring for you. You're free!

The downside working at home is being too free. The temptation to take longer naps or watch movies instead of working is so great! Failure to keep up with your own deadlines causes delays on the project. There is no co-worker or traffic to blame, only yourself.


What exactly is my work? It's hard to define what my "job" is nowadays.

One thing is constant. Xena will always meddle with what I'm doing. 

A post shared by Kye Felix-Pajela (@sleepwalkingscarlet) on

I'm an architect by profession but I also do a lot of graphic design, and arts and crafts not necessarily related to architecture. It really depends on what the present demand is. Most of the time I work on promotional materials. Some days I prepare lessons for Sunday School and Values Instruction Classes. In the weekends, hubby and I cook leche flans.

Being a freelancer means you're going to have to blur your definition of a job. Learn to adapt. What is in demand? Be ready to cater to what that demand is even if it doesn't fit your original training.

So this is what my work day looks like.


I prepare lunch around 11:00 AM. There are times I try to channel my inner Nigella Lawson. When I'm too busy, we buy cooked food from the cafeterias nearby.

A post shared by Kye Felix-Pajela (@sleepwalkingscarlet) on


Siesta time right after lunch! Hubby goes home to take a break. Sometimes we let Xena sleep on the bed. She showers us with drool before she goes to sleep. She overstays on the bed an hour more. Spoiled dog.

I only take a shower before or after siesta because the water temperature is more forgiving at noon. I also need to wash off dog fur and drool before working again. Another advantage of freelancing is that you are not required to suffer a cold shower in the morning.

No make-up. No fancy office clothes. I work in shirt and shorts, plus glasses when I need to use the laptop.

Xena tries to climb my lap. There are afternoons when she prefers to stay on the floor munching on a bone or a chewing on a floor mat. It's good she doesn't chew on our shoes anymore.

A post shared by Kye Felix-Pajela (@sleepwalkingscarlet) on

When work gets too monotonous, Xena and I play fetch or take a walk outside. Sometimes Xena would sneak out to visit Hubby at work, or adorably disturb our neighbors.



We live in a typical Metro Manila neighborhood where children play on the streets and there's a basketball half court right outside our doorstep. From cafeterias to food stalls to food carts, there's a lot to choose merienda from.

It can be really noisy here. We got used to it.

Another cup of coffee or a stick of butterscotch ice cream and I'm back to the desk again to do something (amazing, hopefully)...


like these mini planners we produce in the 'ber' months, 

or a wacky costume someone commissioned.

As night time approaches, I get ready to switch from Architect/Artist/Blogger/Doodler to housewife. I wait for Hubby to come home and we eat dinner together.

Hubby takes over the chores this time. I can either take the time to continue working or do something to relax, maybe watch an episode or two on youtube, or write on my journal while sipping a cup of tea. There are times when I feel like pampering myself by putting on a cold face mask.

Finally, we end the day the same way we started, by having a "quiet time."

Even when we're too tired and feel like planking straight to bed, it's nice to say a prayer of thanksgiving for the whole day God has given.


PS: I was the exact opposite when I was single. It's a blessing my husband influenced me with some discipline.


The key to managing my daily life is multitasking!

We girls ace this ability, but it takes a lot of time to master. When you are in control of your own time, it's crucial that you make the most of it. You have to act fast, think on your feet, be able to do more things at once so you can achieve more!

The most valuable resource is not money. It's time.

This year I gave bullet journaling a try. Though my bullet journal is not as artsy as I originally planned, it does the job. I can say I'm more organized now despite the continuous struggle against my slothful nature.

I am more organized now, but there's always room for improvement!

Comments

Featured Video

Popular posts from this blog

REVIEW | Hardin sa Tabing-Ilog Adventure Camp

RSVP + Philippine Culture = ?

Our Epic Wedding Review : IMP Sea Breeze Resort

Having a D&C (Journal)

MOVIE REVIEW | Ponyo